History of LPC Connect
LPC Connect is proud to have served La Porte City for over 100 years and Mt. Auburn for over 50 years. We have fostered local growth and economic development through advancements in telecommunications technology.
1907 - La Porte City Farmers Mutual Telephone Co. was incorporated.
- Rural service was $1.00 per month and there were 18-20 parties per line
1918 - Total expenses for the year amounted to $12,094.69.
- $117.25 for blacksmithing
- $501.44 was for horse feed
1919 - Horses were sold for $146.00 and truck was purchased for $849.75.
- Wages paid to telephone operators were $3249.85.
1920 - Taxes paid were $314.01
1979 - Taxes paid $93,160.78
1940 - Total subscriber count of 394 city phones and 465 rural phones.
1959 - Dial service was initiated in La Porte City.
- Mount Auburn exchange was acquired and also converted to a dial service.
- The total cost of those improvements were $312,500.00.
1967 - Rural service was improved to 4 subscribers on each line.
- $90,833.72 was invested in underground cable at that time.
1971 - There were a total of 1915 telephones in service in La Porte City and Mt. Auburn.
1985 - The goal of private service to all customers was completed.
- No more party lines.